- Since its establishment in 2000, MERRAC has built a strong partnership among NOWPAP member states and carried out the designated activities in the field of marine pollution prevention and response in the NOWPAP region, with professional supports from IMO, NOWPAP RCU and UNEP. MERRAC has achieved some important results through a series of MERRAC focal points. Especially, one of the most important accomplishments is to finalize the NOWPAP Regional Oil and HNS Spill Contingency Plan (RCP) and its Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) & Resolution.
At the 13th NOWPAP Intergovernmental Meeting (Jeju, Korea, October 2008), it was rearranged activities of the NOWPAP Regional Activities Centres (RACs) including MERRAC. MERRAC will continuously implement relevant activities on oil and HNS prevention0 and response (within the framework of NOWPAP RCP, including specific projects and training exercises), and marine litter. The work on tanker ballast waters including alien invasive species as well as MARPOL convention, and liability and compensation issues will be carried out at a later stage depending on necessity and urgency and budget availability.
|· Oil and HNS Prevention and Response (within the framework of NOWPAP RCP, including specific projects and training exercises) - in accordance with OPRC convention and OPRC-HNS protocol
· Marine Litter (with other RACs) - implementation of RAP MALI
|· Oil and HNS Prevention and Response (within the framework of NOWPAP RCP, including specific projects and training exercises)|
· Marine Litter (with other RACs)
Potential future activities*
· Ballast Waters and Alien Invasive Species (within the context of IMO initiatives on ballast waters management)
· Prevention of Pollution from Ships (MARPOL convention)
· Liability and Compensation (CLC, Fund, Bunker and HNS conventions)
*depending on necessity and urgency and budget availability for 2010-2011
P.O. Box 23, Yuseong, Daejeon 305-343, Republic of Korea (c/o KRISO) Tel : (+82-42) 866-3638, FAX : (+82-42) 866-3630
copyrightⓒ2009 NOWPAP MERRAC all rights reserved.