- The maritime transport has been increasing rapidly over the years in the NOWPAP region along with the fast economic growth. As increasing in our dependency on marine transportation using large vessels, an oil spill accident may be occurred in the region which can cause enormous environmental and economic damages. Furthermore, the risk of oil spill accident is getting increase due to gas explorations at the Sakhalin and the upper Yellow Sea in the NOWPAP region. The NOWPAP region is also influenced by dense tanker traffic transporting crude oil to People’s Republic of China, Japan, Republic of Korea and Far Eastern Russia.
MERRAC carries out designated activities regarding the development of an effective countermeasure on regional cooperation in the field of oil spill prevention and response in the Northwest Pacific region within the framework of NOWPAP, with professional supports from UNEP, IMO, and NOWPAP RCU
Especially, the NOWPAP Regional Oil and HNS Spill Contingency Plan and its MoU & Resolution were adopted and came into effect. As this, the NOWPAP member states are in a better state of preparedness and response to oil spills, as each of them may request assistance from the other three NOWPAP member states in cases of large oil spill emergencies. It is necessary that the NOWPAP Regional Oil and HNS Spill Contingency Plan has to be implemented, tested and exercised and has to be kept up-dated continuously in order to provide the framework for co-operation in cases of large oil spills.
- NOWPAP Training and Exercise
- MERRAC plans and organizes training courses and relevant technical workshops, in consultation with competent national training institutions in the NOWPAP member states, taking into consideration the IMO model courses.
- NOWPAP Training
- - NOWPAP Regional OPRC Training Course (28 October ?1 November 2002, Incheon, Korea)
- NOWPAP Regional OPRC Training Course (10-14 November 2003, Shimonoseki, Japan)
- NOWPAP BRAVO
- - 1st NOWPAP BRAVO (17 April 2008, Russia)
- 2nd NOWPAP BRAVO (22 January 2009, Japan)
- 3rd NOWPAP BRAVO (10 April 2009, Korea)
- NOWPAP DELTA
- - 1st NOWPAP Joint Oil Spill Exercise (10-12 May 2006, Aniva Bay, Russia-Japan)
- 2nd NOWPAP Joint Oil Spill Exercise (2 September 2008, Qingdao, China-Korea)
- Specific Projects
- MERRAC Specific Projects have covered relevant regional cooperation in marine pollution including oil, HNS, and sea-based marine litter. Expert Groups have been organized to implement MERRAC Specific Projects, and NOWPAP member states officially nominate national experts having profound background for relevant activities to support MERRAC Specific Projects. Expert Groups are composed of four experts, respectively, and the expert of leading country generally manage the MERRAC Specific Projects in cooperation with other experts.
- Concluded projects
- - Oil dispersant
- Shoreline clean-up
- Regional mapping of vulnerable resources
- Sensitivity mapping
- Regional oil spill prediction model
- Minimum level of preparedness
- You can download the publications, please click here.
P.O. Box 23, Yuseong, Daejeon 305-343, Republic of Korea (c/o KRISO) Tel : (+82-42) 866-3638, FAX : (+82-42) 866-3630
copyrightⓒ2009 NOWPAP MERRAC all rights reserved.